Milwaukee County has announced plans to renovate the
County-owned mini park that is the site of the Burns
Monument erected in 1909.
This effort is being made in conjunction with the private
development of a park to be known as Burns Common.
A roughly triangular parcel of land located on the East
side of Milwaukee (bordered by Prospect and E. Ogden avenues,
N. Franlink Place and E. Knapp Street) is to be converted
into Burns Common, according to an article in the
October 29, 1999 edition of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal.
The new Common is to include sculptures, benches, traditional
lighting, and stone and brick walkways.
Completion of the project is scheduled for next Spring.
The Burns Monument site is directly south of and
adjacent to the new Burns Common.
The cost of renovating the monument site is estimated
at $20,000 to $25,000. Funds for the renovation are coming
from local organizations and are being matched by the County.
At the November 17, 1999 meeting of the Robert Burns Club of Milwaukee,
members passed a motion for the Club to donate $1,000 toward the
project. The donation includes the Club's Monument Lighting
Fund, plus a donation from the Club's general
treasury. This, in addition to $8,000 donated by the St. Andrews
Society and other organizations, and matched by the County,
comes close to covering the cost of the effort.
Additional donations are still needed.
for more information on the monument project.